About Me

My photo
Santa Fe, New Mexico, United States

Friday, September 30, 2011

The Allowing

Dear Friends,
This is a poem set in the style of a Pantoum; a wonderful stream of consciousness, yet contained 4 stanza quatrain format. To learn more about this style and other forms of poetry I invite you to read “Unbroken Line: Writing in the Lineage of Poetry” by Miriam Sagan. 

The Allowing…a Pantoum
I cried myself to sleep last night thinking about you.
I pressed my warm hand onto your cold folded hands,
kissed the hardness of your forehead leaving an imprint of my lipstick.
I thought, “This kiss goes with you forever”.

I pressed my warm hand onto your cold folded hands.
The full harvest moon hides behind thick clouds.
I want to be more like myself than ever before.
Your hands, cold but solid, give me ground.

The full harvest moon hides behind thick clouds.
What does authentic mean to me now?
Your hands, cold but solid, give me ground.
Where is the ground I once knew?

What does authentic mean to me now?
A siren sounds in the distance and Lucy howls in response.
Where is the ground I once knew?
There is now only free falling.

A siren sounds in the distance and Lucy howls in response.
I carry you both with me now in every moment there is.
There is now only free falling.
I am now free to carry myself into the future.

I carry you both with me now in every moment there is.
I cried myself to sleep last night thinking about you.
I am now free to carry myself into the future.
I thought, “This kiss goes with you forever”.

Dedicated to my Parents
Loretto Sherman, 2/4/1921-9/25/2006
Duncan Sherman, 8/2/1923-5/2/2011

Also posted today over at Vision & Verb:
http://www.visionandverb.com/









No comments:

Post a Comment

Aspens

Aspens
Bending Branch

Aspens

Aspens
Aspen Bark

Aspens

Aspens

Buddha Applied

Buddha Applied

A Moment in Time

A Moment in Time
Silence

Silence Series

Silence Series
Silence2

Silence Series

Silence Series
Silence3

Street Photography

Street Photography

Train Graffitti

Markings

Faces From the World

Faces From the World
Bhutan

India

India
Folk Art Festival