About Me

My photo
Santa Fe, New Mexico, United States

Sunday, October 23, 2011

Beauty of the Cosmos

I have loved these flowers, Cosmos, for a very long time. I don't recall them in Chicago where I grew up but I could be mistaken as my thoughts and eyes weren't on the more subtle aspects of a flower garden back in those days.  But out here in the southwest where the air and earth can be harsh and the planting of vegetables and flowers a tricky endeavor, the Cosmos is right at home making it perfect for a weekend October walk when I spot the lovely blooms waving in the autumn air.
What I find most lovely is that the Cosmos is the flower appointed to the month of October. In Greek it is the word used for harmony, balance and order; from the Latin, Kosmos, for beauty. The flower finds its origins in Latin America and when grown in Mexico by Spanish priests they named the lovely bloom Cosmos, because "they exuded cosmic beauty".

This is where I am today in my mind/body/spirit; feeling the soft, quietude of beauty, balance and harmony in all of life and in me. I bow in gratitude. _/|\_

2 comments:

  1. This morning - I came across an unexpected field of cosmos. There must be acres and acres of them. And - while the world is turning shades of oranges and browns - the pinks were such a welcome distraction. I didn't know that they are typical 'October' blooms. And - what a gorgeous image yours is (I'm sure I'll have one to follow...).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Mary, how inspiring that October flower is "exuding cosmic beauty". Your capture is taking me there, thank you :-)

    ReplyDelete

Aspens

Aspens
Bending Branch

Aspens

Aspens
Aspen Bark

Aspens

Aspens

Buddha Applied

Buddha Applied

A Moment in Time

A Moment in Time
Silence

Silence Series

Silence Series
Silence2

Silence Series

Silence Series
Silence3

Street Photography

Street Photography

Train Graffitti

Markings

Faces From the World

Faces From the World
Bhutan

India

India
Folk Art Festival