About Me

My Photo
Santa Fe, New Mexico, United States

Friday, February 3, 2012


 
To love oneself is the beginning of a life-long romance.
Oscar Wilde

Late afternoon and my eyes move from looking outside through my office window to a picture taken nearly 12 years ago; me, my two sons and our first dog after the divorce, Bella. She's hamming it up and grinning from ear to ear. It was a rough time but looking at the picture, it reminds me how we all love to smile and how resilient the human being is. The well of strength is bottomless. 
This year I'm really aiming for light-hearted living, joy and a gentler way of learning life.




I just read something that shines some light on how I've been thinking and experiencing my Dad who passed last May; another phase is the cycles of grief. But first, the dream I had 2 days ago.

I dreamt of my dad...there's a large body of quiet water (a lake? an ocean?) Dad is walking ahead of me, his glasses fall off his face (rimless - not anything like his real glasses) he goes to catch them and falls, effortlessly, full body into the water...and he's gone...no struggle, no stirring water. I awake and at first I think, "What the hell was that?" But you know, it's a dream...so I give it some time - me  some time...and I know..."Oh, Dad's merged with the infinite...how perfect...and thank you for showing me this, Dad."

And now, John O'Donohue speaking about silence and landscape,
(Four Elements:Reflections on Nature)...

There is the silence of absence and especially the silence of one's final absence from the earth; the silence  that death bequeaths as it erases the individual life. The world is full of invisible ruins, silent absence-spaces which each deceased animal and human leaves behind them.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, Mary I believe you understood your dream perfectly, your dad showed you he was fine and it's prefect that you got the message.

    I wish you a lifetime of light-hearted living and joy and laughter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - what a beautiful post. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Aspens

Aspens
Bending Branch

Aspens

Aspens
Aspen Bark

Aspens

Aspens

Buddha Applied

Buddha Applied

A Moment in Time

A Moment in Time
Silence

Silence Series

Silence Series
Silence2

Silence Series

Silence Series
Silence3

Street Photography

Street Photography

Train Graffitti

Markings

Faces From the World

Faces From the World
Bhutan

India

India
Folk Art Festival