About Me

My photo
Santa Fe, New Mexico, United States

Sunday, July 1, 2012

Channeling Nora

Forget Me Nots



Nora Ephron died this past week and I can't stop thinking about her. I was only vaguely familiar with her work. I read an article in the New York Times that covered  her career. The article noted her last book, written 2 years ago, was called, "I Remember Nothing." I laughed, knowing exactly what that feels like and thinking, "that's my world". I read on, turns out she's written/co-written/directed some of my all time favorite movies; you know the ones you can watch over and over and you're waiting for the perfect-pitch dialogue? When Harry Met Sally, You've Got Mail, Sleepless in Seattle, Mixed Nuts, Michael, Julie & Julia. Her first screenplay was Silkwood; remember how powerful that movie was and Cher in the title role (who was wonderful).

What I'm trying to get at is I feel that I have been injected with a shot of a new meaning to my writing  Not to say I had writers block. I can always write something if I simply make the time to sit down and do it. My issue isn't that I don't have any ideas. Mine is that the mind moves so fast it makes it challenging to slow the thoughts and ideas down to actually make sense of them and get the words/ideas out of my head and onto the computer or notebook or (now) iPad.

I took myself to the library and checked out "I Remember Nothing", which I read in a few days. I laughed - out loud - through the entire book. How many books have you read that you can say that about? Now I want to go back and read everything she's written and watch all her movies.

But, I also want to write new pieces. She was a journalist, a screen writer and she wrote satire. After reading her book I've been thinking, "I can write satire." I thought you had to be cynical and have somewhat of a negative view of the world and not have much of a beating heart. Turns out, like Nora, you can have a big beating heart and see things/have observations and be able to write about them with wit and intelligence and not hurt people's feelings in the process. (although the truth is we never have any control over how a person chooses to take anything).

So there you have it. I'm headed over to Netflix to begin a "Sunday with Nora Ephron's Movies Marathon".
Then I'm headed to the library to check out, "I Feel Bad About My Neck", "Heartburn", and anything else on the shelves. There is nothing more gratifying as a creative spirit than to be infused with big inspiration.

Thanks Nora, you are number one on my growing list of heroines that make me proud to be a woman in this world.

3 comments:

  1. Oh how I love this post! First, living in NYC you can only imagine what a big deal her passing has been. Second, I'm going to purchase "I remember Nothing" asap! The last books that I laughed out loud is similar to your marathon...Kris Radish and her books. It's so rare to find those kind of books of laughter so thank you! So...I'm looking forward to reading your version of satire! You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read that book ~ Thanks for sharing this ~

    If you want some ideas to write and post, join communities where ideas abound. I also find that reading others work give me ideas and styles ~

    Happy day to you~

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read "I feel bad about my neck" but not her latest book "I remember nothing". I think I will now as her humor is similar to mine but funnier, less abrasive, so maybe I can pick up some ideas. I have enjoyed Ephron's work. She will be missed.

    ReplyDelete

Aspens

Aspens
Bending Branch

Aspens

Aspens
Aspen Bark

Aspens

Aspens

Buddha Applied

Buddha Applied

A Moment in Time

A Moment in Time
Silence

Silence Series

Silence Series
Silence2

Silence Series

Silence Series
Silence3

Street Photography

Street Photography

Train Graffitti

Markings

Faces From the World

Faces From the World
Bhutan

India

India
Folk Art Festival