About Me

My photo
Santa Fe, New Mexico, United States

Friday, August 3, 2012

The Allowing



The Allowing
 
I cried myself to sleep last night thinking about you.
I pressed my warm hand onto your cold folded hands,
kissed the hardness of your forehead leaving an imprint of my lipstick.
I thought, “This kiss goes with you forever”.

I pressed my warm hand onto your cold folded hands.
The full harvest moon hides behind thick clouds.
I want to be more like myself than ever before.
Your hands, cold but solid, give me ground.

The full harvest moon hides behind thick clouds.
What does authentic mean to me now?
Your hands, cold but solid, give me ground.
Where is the ground I once knew?

What does authentic mean to me now?
A siren sounds in the distance and Lucy howls in response.
Where is the ground I once knew?
There is now only free falling.

A siren sounds in the distance and Lucy howls in response.
I carry you both with me now in every moment there is.
There is now only free falling.
I am now free to carry myself into the future.

I carry you both with me now in every moment there is.
I cried myself to sleep last night thinking about you.
I am now free to carry myself into the future.
I thought, “This kiss goes with you forever”.

to Duncan & Loretto 

7 comments:

  1. this is a moving and touching write...deeply felt emotions and pain but also the ray of hope, the getting ready to carry the memories and treasures left by the other with you into the future...

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh wow...felt piece...the imagery of the one passed on and them still keeping you grounded choked me up a bit...a great question to explore in that moment as well on authenticity....as you step forwward from there...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. nice to see this one again...nice to form as well...good to see you again...

      Delete
  3. Oh, so, so sad, so moving, made me weep, so beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks all! I tried to place my comment over at dVerse but it wanted me to register as a blogger...
    Anyhow, I love this form for a poem, so evocative, rhythmic, undulating, hypnotic...very evocative!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was quietly pensive when I finished this poem. You managed to stop the world for a minute with the story in the poem. And well-expressed in the pantoum structure, as it underlines every heartache as a refrain.

    ReplyDelete

Aspens

Aspens
Bending Branch

Aspens

Aspens
Aspen Bark

Aspens

Aspens

Buddha Applied

Buddha Applied

A Moment in Time

A Moment in Time
Silence

Silence Series

Silence Series
Silence2

Silence Series

Silence Series
Silence3

Street Photography

Street Photography

Train Graffitti

Markings

Faces From the World

Faces From the World
Bhutan

India

India
Folk Art Festival