About Me

My photo
Santa Fe, New Mexico, United States

Monday, October 8, 2012

A Lesson in Perception & Deep Listening




perception \per-‘sep-shen\n 1 : An act or result of perceiving  2 : awareness of one’s environment through physical sensation
3 : ability to understand : INSIGHT, COMPREHENSION   



an act or result of perceiving – when I am perceiving something, is it an experience wrapped within the perception of my experience?

awareness of one’s environment through physical sensation – I experience the power/sound of the ocean as it moves inside of me. I experience the quaking of aspen leaves through a physical sensation in the core of my solar plexus: me and the tree are one.

ability to understand - I take in the spiced scented jasmine blossom; I am sensing, perceiving and experiencing simultaneously.

What is perception? This is the question that has arisen for me this week in a writing class I’m taking over at Writing Our Way Home, titled, “Eastern Therapeutic Writing.” This week’s focus was creating our own koan or question; a self inquiry process. I’m thinking perception has something or everything to do with trust. I’m thinking perception has something or everything to do with intuition. I’m thinking perception has something or everything to do with not looking outside of ourselves for the answers. I know perception has something or everything to do with giving ourselves the authority to believe, once and for all, in our own inner voice. Everything to do with the power of the sound of our own voice and how it mingles with air as it penetrates the molecules.

I’ve been sitting with these thoughts/perceptions/experiences as I create my last post for Vision & Verb**. The journey never ends; it simply takes a different/new path.   I receive, I thank, I bow.

Terry Tempest Williams, in her new book, “When Women Were Birds: Fifty-Four Variations on Voice” says, “When we don’t listen to our intuition, we abandon our souls. And we abandon our souls because we are afraid if we don’t, others will abandon us. We’ve been raised to question what we know, to discount and discredit the authority of our gut. I want to know why. I regret whenever I abandon myself. But harboring regrets is making love to the past, and there is no movement here. It’s not the lips of a prince that will save us, but our own lips speaking.”

**Vision & Verb: A Global Gathering of Women


1 comment:

  1. While visiting with Ginnie I noticed your beautiful capture on her computer. Wow! Love it! Will comment more under V&V. Will miss your contribution!

    ReplyDelete

Aspens

Aspens
Bending Branch

Aspens

Aspens
Aspen Bark

Aspens

Aspens

Buddha Applied

Buddha Applied

A Moment in Time

A Moment in Time
Silence

Silence Series

Silence Series
Silence2

Silence Series

Silence Series
Silence3

Street Photography

Street Photography

Train Graffitti

Markings

Faces From the World

Faces From the World
Bhutan

India

India
Folk Art Festival