About Me

My photo
Santa Fe, New Mexico, United States

Monday, October 21, 2013

Why I Left Facebook



I did it. I finally took myself off of Facebook. Why? Because each, "I think I'll just check my FB page", turned into one, two and three hours later. I had many wonderful iPhoneographers I was Following: there was the Hipstamatic group, the Parts &Process group. Then there were my recovery groups...anything having to do with buddhism and 12 steps and recovery. As it turns out, there are many iPhoneographers and many 12 step, buddhist recovering folks out there...around the world. After two and a half years, I couldn't keep things straight. Feeling myself way too thinned out. Flikr, Tumblr, Twitter, Facebook, Eyem, MobiTog, Instagram. It's insidious/chronic/addictive and ultimately takes me away from "real time". You know, this present moment?

Now, as life has unfolded, I've actually met some amazing individuals, who I reached out to over the weekend as I began the process of shutting down the page. I believe I interacted more with these said individuals in 48 hours than I had in months. So, isn't that lovely? Something beautiful actually did become of all of this social  media overload.

Of course, I'm connecting with these same people on other social sites....Twitter, Instagram, Tumblr. But hey, that's alright; there was something about FB that kept me there for far too long. I realized I had expectations...way to many....of what? Being recognized, "found". I thought people would follow me like I was the next new white bread/new creative/iPhoneographer/writer, blah, blah, blah....

Letting go of expectations from others and having expectations of myself.
This means, more writing: HERE. More images: HERE. More connections: Here.

Welcome to a new moment in time.

2 comments:

  1. Love reading this, Mary. I'd like to reshare it on the Joy of iPhoneography site. Are you keeping both this blog and a Tumblr with the same posts? It's easier for me to reshare the full content through Tumblr but if you're willing, I can also share just a link from here. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Share away Meri. This is where all posts will originate (when it's words & image).
    I usually just post images on Tumblr.
    Thanks for visiting Meri!

    ReplyDelete

Aspens

Aspens
Bending Branch

Aspens

Aspens
Aspen Bark

Aspens

Aspens

Buddha Applied

Buddha Applied

A Moment in Time

A Moment in Time
Silence

Silence Series

Silence Series
Silence2

Silence Series

Silence Series
Silence3

Street Photography

Street Photography

Train Graffitti

Markings

Faces From the World

Faces From the World
Bhutan

India

India
Folk Art Festival